Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is supposed to be a personal recipe of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (1 inch) galangal or 1 (1 inch) gingerroot
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and sliced thin
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons roasted chili paste (nam phrik pao)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 lb straw mushroom
- 1⁄2 lb oyster mushroom
- 5 small Thai red chili peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (garnish)
- Bring the stock, lime leaves, lemon grass, sugar, galangal and chili paste to a boil in small pot.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and mushrooms and bring to a simmer, quickly stir in the lime juice and fish sauce. Float the chilies on the soup and serve, garnishing with cilantro.
- I serve this dish with sticky rice on the side and a quick salad of chilies, vinegar, sugar, onion and cucumber.