Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is supposed to be a personal recipe of Andrew Zimmern, host of the TV show Bizarre Foods.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (1 inch) galangal or 1 (1 inch) gingerroot
- 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and sliced thin
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 (14 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons roasted chili paste (nam phrik pao)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons golden brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 lb straw mushroom
- 1/2 lb oyster mushroom
- 5 small Thai red chili peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (garnish)
- 1Bring the stock, lime leaves, lemon grass, sugar, galangal and chili paste to a boil in small pot.
- 2Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- 3Add the chicken and mushrooms and bring to a simmer, quickly stir in the lime juice and fish sauce. Float the chilies on the soup and serve, garnishing with cilantro.
- 4I serve this dish with sticky rice on the side and a quick salad of chilies, vinegar, sugar, onion and cucumber.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tom Kha Gai (Thai Chicken Coconut Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (739 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1290.4
- Calories from Fat 848
- Total Fat 94.2 g
- Saturated Fat 77.1 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 3672.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 74.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves