Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The easy get-everything-at-the-grocery-store version
- 4 stalk fresh lemongrass
- 1 piece fresh ginger (2-3 inches)
- 907.18 g chicken broth
- 2 (793.78 g) can coconut milk
- 236.59-473.18 ml sliced mushrooms
- 50-60 raw shrimp (thawed)
- 4.92-24.64 ml chili oil (to taste)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 0.0-59.16 ml fish sauce (optional)
- 177.44 ml jasmine rice, per person
- 1 cheesecloth (10in x 10in piece)
- Cook as much Jasmine rice as needed.
- Pour the chicken broth into a large pot over medium heat.
- Shake the coconut milk thoroughly and add to the pot.
- Add sliced mushrooms. (You can add chili oil now or anytime following. The longer it is mixing, the stronger the flavor).
- Cut lemon grass into ~1 inch long pieces. Set aside. Thinly slice ginger. Set aside.
- Cut a 10in x 10in square of cheesecloth. Place the lemon grass & ginger into the cheesecloth and tie closed. Drop the sachet into the pot.
- Let simmer for ~15 minutes (usually the time I use to peel the shrimp and cut them in half).
- Add Chili oil if you haven’t already.
- Add fish sauce, if desired.
- Add shrimp. Cook ~3 minutes more (until shrimp are pink).
- Take off the heat, remove the lemon grass/ginger sachet, and add lime juice.
- Serve with desired amount of Jasmine rice.