Recipe by Tumerica
When I went to Thailand and had this soup for the first time I think my whole world just flipped right over on me all at once--it was the most remarkable taste experience ever. The flavors just blew me away--piquant, sour, spicy, rich, amazing! You have to try it. And you can easily make either Tom Yam or Tom Ka with a simple substitution. This soup is simple to make, but what's tricky is having the ingredients on hand. Because I love this so much, I stockpile fish sauce, coconut milk and dried shiitake mushrooms. My hubby grows lemongrass in the garden year-round, and we have a lime tree that contributes a leaf here and there. You can make this without lime leaf and lemongrass, but add some lime zest to substitute. I think you are going to love this special and wonderful soup--one of the great wonders of the culinary world!
Top Review by Acoustic Indigo
I love this soup! I have tried it with and without lemongrass and lime leaf, and I often change the type of mushroom I add, but it always tastes delicious! Thank you for this lovely treat :)
- 59.16 ml fish sauce
- 340.19 g can coconut milk (Not the reduced fat kind. Fat makes it taste DELICIOUS!)
- 473.18 ml chicken stock (I use the chicken stock paste that comes in little jars. It has no MSG and is all-natural, without t)
- 473.18 ml water
- 2 sprig lemongrass, root (two inch sprigs, chopped into tiny slices)
- 1 kaffir lime leaf (or other lime leaf, tossed in whole) (optional)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 4 garlic cloves (or more depending on your preference)
- 226.79 g package silken tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 118.29 ml shrimp (optional)
- 118.29 ml mushroom (Any kind, such as white, shiitake, portobello, etc. I mostly use shiitake because I keep a giant con)
- 4.92 ml red chili paste (I like Sriracha brand. Add more to taste.)
- 14.79 ml grated fresh gingerroot
- 59.14 ml chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- 59.14 ml Thai basil, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Throw everything in a pot and boil for about 10 minutes, saving shrimp until last (if you are using shrimp--I often just make this vegetarian).
- Garnish and serve.
- To make Tom Yam instead of Tom Ka, do everything the same, except substitute more chicken stock to replace the coconut milk.