Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A classic warm winter toddy. Enjoy!
- 3 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 ounce lukewarm brandy
- 1 1⁄2 ounces lukewarm dark rum
- hot water
- grated nutmeg
- Beat egg whites til they are a stiff froth.
- Separately beat egg yolks until light in color.
- Gradually beat sugar, allspice, cinnamon and cloves into the yolk mixture.
- Fold yolk mixture into whites and pour 2 tablespoons of this mixture into each of four 8-ounce mugs.
- Add brandy and rum to each mug.
- Fill mugs with very hot water, milk, or coffee.
- Stir well and sprinkle the top with grated nutmeg.
This is the real McCoy. I remember my parents making this when I was a kid. I could even have one sans booze. I use piping hot milk, and because I like them a little sweeter, I add some powdered sugar to the milk. I added 2 tablespoons of the \
Try it - Love it.It is so easy to make, but oh so delicious. I liked it so much, because it is not too sweet. And you could make it kid-friendly. Just flavor the milk with a little vanilla extract or use apple / orange juice instead of the alcohol. I've tried it with vanilla and it was great. Fill the mugs very carefully with milk or hot coffee and you will have a very delicate foam which mixes very slowly with the milk under it. The smell of allspice, cinnamon and cloves fill the air after you poured in the hot milk. The foam has the texture you might expect from a cappuccino, but it it is very fluffy. Rum and Brandy add a delicate alcoholic flavor and will warm you up. Serve it with some bitter-sweet chocolate or a choco type cookies or muffins and you could spend hours with this outstanding warm winter toddy. A recipe which deserves more than five stars, but during those cold and dark winter afternoons you will see the stars easily up in the sky.