Recipe by Oolala
Posted by Juliet B. Robinson in Another Taste of Palm Beach. Great name! "With this leg of lamb, have butcher remove skin and excess fat, quarter 2 cloves of garlic and insert in outer lamb with point of sharp knife. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 1 (2 lb) leg of lamb, see description
- 1⁄2 cup consomme
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup gin
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 slice lemon
- 1 bell pepper, cut in strips
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- 1 pinch dried tarragon
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- coriander seed, few grains (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cognac (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except cognac and pour over lamb in a large open pan.
- Bake at 450 degrees F. until brown and then lower heat to 325 degrees F. and continue baking until meat is tender. BE SURE TO BASTE FREQUENTLY. Allow 20 minutes per pound. Meat will be pink inside.
- Strain juice (to which 1 tablespoons cognac may be added for extra flavor). Serve piping hot with spiced lamb. This is equally good served cold.
- The meat is quite tantalizingly flavored and fragrant. Sauce jells in refrigerator.