Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chunky avocado with pumpkin, pomegranate seeds and apple. From CBS's Chef on a Shoestring.
- 2 lbs pumpkin (approximately 2 mini)
- 2 ripe Hass avocadoes, halved with pits removed (preferably from Mexico)
- 2 tablespoons chopped sweet onions, such as vidalia
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon seeded and chopped jalapeno
- tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Remove the stems from the pumpkins, cut a 1-inch hole around their top and scoop out the seeds. Pour one tablespoon of oil into each pumpkin cavity, season well with salt, then place each pumpkin upright on a sheet pan and roast for 25 minutes, or until the flesh is tender.
- Let cool completely, then carefully scrape out the flesh, leaving the pumpkin shells intact to be used as serving vessels.
- Scoop the flesh of the avocados out of the rind and into a bowl. Mash the avocados with a fork, making sure to leave plenty of chunks. Mix in the remaining ingredients plus the cooled, cooked pumpkin and salt.
- Fill pumpkin shells with guacamole and serve with corn tortillas chips.