1/1 Photo of Toll House Cake (Layer Cake or Bundt Cake - You Pick)
Realtor by day, Chef by night's Note:
You'll love this delicious chocolate chip cake from Toll House. It can be made as a layer cake or a Bundt cake. Both are great! I found it in an old Better Homes and Gardens recipe booklet from the late 70's. It is different from all the other recipes I've found. It's a yellow cake with chocolate chips and creamy, delicious, chocolate buttercream icing! Be sure to use the mini-morsels because the regular ones will sink down to the bottom. If you just need a rich, chocolatey buttercream frosting, I have also posted the frosting separately. It is Rich and Creamy Chocolate Frosting from Toll House.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups unsifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use 2)
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate, mini-morsels (Nestles)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch pans or one 10 inch Bundt pan.
- 3In a small bowl, combine flour, soda and salt.
- 4In large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- 5Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk.
- 7Stir in mini-morsels.
- 8Pour into prepared pans.
- 9Bake 35 minutes for layers or 45 minutes for Bundt cake.
- 10NOTE- DO NOT test for doneness by piercing cake because it may deflate if you do.
- 11Cool 15 minutes in pans.
- 12Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- 14In small saucepan, melt butter.
- 15Stir in mini-morsels until melted.
- 16Add salt and vanilla.
- 17Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar and milk until creamy and fluffy. I beat this for at least 10 minutes. The longer you beat it, the better is tastes.
- 18Makes enough to fill and frost 2 layers (about 2 1/4 cups of frosting).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toll House Cake (Layer Cake or Bundt Cake - You Pick)
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 563.9
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 69.3 mg
- Sodium 553.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 56.4 g
- Protein 7.5 g