Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 mins
Dusting the chicken with cornstarch before frying makes for a slightly lighter crust. Super juicy!
- 1 (2 -2 1/2 lb) whole chickens, cut into 8 serving pieces, trimmed of wing tips, rinsed, excess fat removed, and patted dry
- 2 cups teriyaki sauce (Try my "Basic Teriyaki Sauce" recipe)
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken, and toss to coat well. Marinate for 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain on paper towels, blotting any excess moisture.
- Dust the chicken pieces lightly with the cornstarch; do not coat them. Salt and pepper the chicken pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. Reduce the heat slightly and add as many chicken pieces as will fit without crowding. Fry 6 to 7 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining chicken. Serve hot.