Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
from eatingwell.com Tofu and vegetables get a dramatic lift from a spicy peanut sauce. Serve with a cucumber salad for a low-calorie, nutrient-packed vegetarian supper.
- 5 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons smooth natural-style peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (see Ingredient note) or 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 scallions, sliced
- To prepare sauce: Whisk water, peanut butter, rice vinegar (or white vinegar), soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic in a small bowl.
- To prepare tofu: Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Add spinach, mushrooms, scallions and the peanut sauce and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more.