Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the October 08 Vegetarian Times. This recipe is undried by me so far. I'll update when I have tried it. I have also posted a recipe to make preserved lemons. This is said to be a Moroccan style dish, so it is probably served with couscous. I would use whole wheat couscous or may even just serve with brown rice. We're not purists by any means.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 preserved lemon
- 2⁄3 cup green olives
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sear tofu, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towl lined plate.
- Saute onion and garlic in the same skillet 2 to 3 minutes, or until onion is soft. Stir in ginger and cinnamon, then add broth and tofu. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once.
- Rinse preserved lemon under cold water, discard pulp, and cut peel into small pieces. Stir into tofu mixture with olives and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve.