Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Yet another from "The Whole Soy Cookbook".
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1 small green bell pepper, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 dried mild chiles, soaked in water to cover for 1 hour and finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs firm tofu, each pound cut into 6 even slices
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat; saute the onions and green pepper until the onions are browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 more seconds.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and add the tomatoes, chilies, cinnamon and thyme.
- Stir until the mixture reaches the consistency of a paste, about 5 more minutes.
- Add the stock and cilantro; simmer on very low heat for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cocoa until it is combined and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Heat the vegatable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add the tofu, lightly browning both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Place 3 slices of tofu on each of 6 plates; cover evenly with the mole sauce.