Recipe by Tyson Hurt
I came up with this recipe as a result of becoming vegan, and no longer being able to eat mirin chicken with my Japanese friends. The glaze takes on a dark brown color, and coats the fried tofu very nicely. You may want to make extra sauce to serve over rice.
Top Review by Maggie, Cooking
Quick and easy and delicious, too. The sauce really is good, so I see why some comments suggest doubling the sauce and maybe even adding a few veggies. Thanks so much for sharing this!
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed and drained
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1⁄8 cup mirin
- 1⁄8 cup soy sauce or 1⁄8 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, minced, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice tofu into 1/4 inch strips.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and add cooking oil.
- Fry tofu until light golden, making sure both sides are browned.
- Remove tofu to paper-towel lined plate.
- Stir all sauce ingredients in a small bowl, adding the sesame oil last.
- Pour mixture into skillet, and cook over medium-high heat until thickened.
- Return tofu to skillet, and toss to coat.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice, or cooked soba noodles if desired.