Recipe by tehparrot
A scrumptious concoction of fresh vegetables and tofu, this traditional Vietnamese dish is excellent with earthy red wines such as our Domaine des Blagueurs Syrah Sirrah. (From the Wild Oats website)
Top Review by bebefisher
This recipe was very bland. I am new to vegetarian cooking so I followed the recipe exacting, not yet having a feel for how much flavor the veggies add to the concoction. I won't make this again because the result wasn't worth the effort. I suggest you try if the veg combo sounds good to you, but just think how you might increase the seasoning.
Also, there were so many veggies my large wok was nearly overflowing. With careful stirring, they did cook down within the 10 minutes of suggested cooking time.
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and cut into eighths
- 3 large red peppers, chopped
- 1 small jalapenos or 1 small other hot pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms
- 2 summer squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 bunch scallion, coarsely chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tofu cubes into a steamer and allow to steam for 20 to 30 minutes while chopping vegetables.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a wok or large skillet until very hot. Transfer tofu to pan and sauté until brown on all sides, then remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, sauté onion for one minute. Add soy sauce and one tablespoon water if necessary. Add tomatoes, red peppers, hot peppers, eggplant, mushrooms, squash, scallions, and tomato paste and reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Add tofu and continue cooking until tofu is heated through.
- Serve on platter, garnished with cilantro and rice or noodles. We recommend Forbidden rice, though not exactly traditional, for its exotic nutty flavor and psychedelic color that beautifully compliments the eggplant and peppers.