Recipe by nickie409
I got this out of a vegetarian cookbook I got years ago. This is one tofu recipe that even people who do not like tofu love!! My kids even love it!! I serve it over some Jasmin rice, and it gets devoured. If you want more sauce for the rice, double the amount of sauce you make).
- 12 ounces firm tofu, drained
- 2 garlic cloves (minced or crushed)
- 8 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, sliced very thin (they will be thin strings when cooked)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut to bite sized pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tofu into bite sized cubes. Place in a bowl.
- Mix together the garlic, soy sauce, and sweet chili sauce. Drizzle over the tofu and coat. Let it sit for at least 30 minute.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook over high heat until brown and almost crispy (you can crisp them if you want). Remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels.
- Remove the pan from the heat (it WILL spit at you if you do not). Add the tofu. You can return it to the heat once it has stopped spitting and cook for about 5 minute Remove all but 1 tbs of oil (I usually do not have to remove any oil), and all of the tofu.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Turn down heat and let cool for a bit so the sauce does not spit on you. Return the tofu, onions, and leftover sauce to pan. Heat through.