This recipe was given to me by a vegetarian friend. She serves these "meatballs" as their family's main dish at Thanksgiving. They are easy to make, versatile, and delicious!
- 473.18 ml bread, torn into small pieces
- 177.44 ml walnuts, chopped
- 118.29 ml oats, quick-cooking
- 118.29 ml diced onion
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml italian seasoning
- 9.85 ml vegan chicken seasoning (Chicknish, Butler's Chick-Style, or other)
- 453.59 g extra firm tofu
- 118.29 ml water (if needed)
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- Mix first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add seasonings and mix until combined.
- Drain tofu and crumble with hands into the meatball mixture, mix.
- Add soy sauce and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- With clean hands, roll about a tablespoon's worth of mixture into a ball. If it is too dry to stick together, up to 1/2 cup water can be added. (I don't ever have to add water.).
- Continue to roll mixture into balls, and place onto a greased baking sheet, an inch or two apart. I use a cookie dough scoop to get mine a uniform size.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (depending on size), until nicely browned.
- Cool and transfer to container or bag for freezing, or serve hot as desired.
- (These work well as appetizers, or as part of a main dish with barbecue sauce, brown gravy, vegan stroganoff sauce, or Asian sauces.).