Top Review by mantaotter
I have been making this since 1996 when I first saw it on the UK vegetarian society website. All of my family and friends request it and get disappointed if I don't deliver!<br/>I use Cornbread stuffing by Pepperidge Farm instead of the Herb one on this recipe, and the full 1/4 C sage. I then make the stuffing the night before and let it sit in the hollowed out shell (from previous draining), and wrap it up in the already moist cheese cloth with a plate over it, until the afternoon when its time to cook it.<br/>Definitely use the Toasted sesame oil or it won't taste as good. I also use Red Miso for the basting. Hain Vegetarian Brown Gravy Mix is really good with it as well, or some homemade brown gravy you love... I never have much of this left over if at all, it is way better than store bought!
- 5 lbs firm tofu
- 1 lb tofu (for the "drumsticks") (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, toasted
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄3 cups celery, diced (about 4 stalks)
- 1 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sage (may use 1/8)
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon winter savory or 1 teaspoon summer savory
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce or 1⁄4 cup tamari
- 3 cups Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing
- 1⁄2 cup sesame oil, toasted
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup soy sauce or 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard (of choice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash tofu or mix well with hands. Be sure that all of the lumps are out.
- Line a 12" colander with wet cheesecloth over lapping the sides. Add the mashed tofu to the cloth covered colander, press down and cover with the overlapping sides. Place the whole thing in a large bowl. Cover the cheesecloth with a plate that fits inside the colander and place a 5 pound weight on the plate. Refrigerate and let sit for 2 to 3 hours. When time is up, start the stuffing.
- Saute' the onions, celery and mushrooms in the 2 tablespoons sesame oil.
- When soft, add the garlic and all the rest of the stuffing ingredients, except stuffing, mixing well. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add herb stuffing and mix well.
- Remove tofu from refrigerator and take off weight, plate and top of cheesecloth. Hollow out tofu to within 1 inch of the sides and bottom, placing the tofu in a bowl. Place the stuffing inside the shell and pack in firmly. Cover with the remaining tofu and pat down firmly. Turn stuffed tofu onto a greased baking sheet, flat side down.
- Gently press on sides of "turkey" to achieve a more oval shape. If desired at this point, you may mold "drumsticks" out of one pound of tofu, and place on each side of the "turkey".
- Mix up the basting mixture and baste tofu "turkey" with half of it. Cover the "turkey" with foil, and bake at 400 degrees for about 1 hour.
- Remove foil, baste with all the remaining mixture except a few tablespoons and return to oven for 1 hour more, or until the "turkey" is golden.
- Remove from oven and use rest of basting mix.
- Using at least 2 large spatulas, move to a large plate. Serve with the gravy of your choice, if you wish, and cranberry sauce.