1/1 Photo of Tofu Tso's for Average Joes
I can't stand tofu, but this stuff rocks. It actually tastes good, and my tofu-hating husband said it wasn't bad--which is great in my book. This tastes better to me than the chicken version. So, don't freak out about the deep frying...you'll live. It doesn't taste like flab, like tofu often does. Go on, give it a try!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 1/3 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetarian chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- oil, for deep frying
- 1Open box of tofu carefully, and put tofu on cutting board.
- 2Slice lengthwise into 4 equal portions, and lay flat on a double-thickness of towel(or, I like unused clean cloth diapers--they absorb really well, without lint), place another double-thickness on top, and place a baking sheet on top of all, and weigh down with something heavy, like a book, or baby, or something.
- 3Let it sit, and if you want to change the towels, even better. Give it about 20 minutes.
- 4Cut the pieces into 3/4 inch cubes, about the size of dice.
- 5Beat the eggs and water together.
- 6Place cornstarch and bullion powder in another bowl, and stir together.
- 7Heat about 2-3 inches of oil to about 350 degrees.
- 8Dip pieces of tofu into the egg, then dust heavily with the cornstarch, and carefully place 5-6 pieces in the oil at a time--you don't want to change the temp of the oil too drastically by putting in too many, and you don't want them to stick together by crowding them.
- 9Fry until brown and crispy, about 2 minutes, depending.
- 10Drain in a colander.
- 11Repeat process until done.
- 12This can be done a couple of hours in advance, but don't seal the container while hot, because they'll get soggy.
- 13I just cover with a paper towel.
- 14Now, for the sauce, mix the rice wine, sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch (2tsp)--I usually shake them together in a jar) Feel free to double sauce to taste--it works fine.
- 15Add a tbsp oil to a skillet, heat, and stir fry the garlic until aromatic, but not burned.
- 16Toss tofu in the oil, stir around to heat and crisp a little more, then add the sauce mixture into the pan, and stir to coat tofu, and let thicken--about 1 minute.
- 17Serve hot, over rice, preferably.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Tso's for Average Joes
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.8
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 802.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian chicken bouillon granules
rice wine vinegar