Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
A delicious vegan take on the meaty Indian dish. About medium spicy---adjust to suit your taste. Adapted (simplified) from Vegetarian Journal, Issue One, 2008. Cooking time includes marinating time.
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup plain soy yogurt (plus more to taste)
- 1 lb extra firm tofu (frozen and thawed for more texture, if desired)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Drain tofu for approximately half an hour. Meanwhile, mix 1/4 cup soy yogurt with 2 cloves crushed garlic and 1 teaspoon grated ginger. Cut tofu into cubes and marinate in yogurt mixture for at least 2 hours in refrigerator.
- In a medium pot, mix remaining ginger and garlic, tomato products, and seasonings. Simmer over low heat until thick.
- While the sauce simmers, sautee tofu in a dry, non-stick skillet until golden brown.
- Stir tofu cubes into sauce. If a creamier sauce is desired, add soy yogurt until desired consistency is achieved. Heat just until warm.
- Serve over rice with a pot of soy chai.
This turned out pretty well. However, I had difficulty cutting the acidic edge of all the tomatoes. I de-veganized it by adding a 2 T Ghee which helped make it a bit creamier and cut the sourness of the yogurt. Also, I'm unsure if marinading the tofu is worthwhile. I let it sit for nearly 24 hours and it didn't seem to have much of an impact. Perhaps my local variety of tofu is simply too dense. I want to make this again and integrate some other Tikka recipe ideas.