Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love marinaded organic tofu. To make it taste good, I press my tofu under a brick and that gets rid of most of the water which is necessary so the marinade can be absorbed into the tofu. I find it works best to press the tofu on one side for 20 minutes, then flip it and press again for 15 minutes. You could probably use different types of Sea Veggie Granules in this recipe. I did use some Dulce in mine but Zaar doesn't recognize it, so I just mentioned the Nori in the ingredients and instructions.
- 2 lbs low-fat tofu (organic and pressed)
- 3⁄4 cup teriyaki sauce (I used Soy Vay Island)
- 2 cups rice cakes (Lundberg with sea veggies-I used 5 cakes)
- 2 teaspoons nori, granules (Main Coast)
- 1 cup spelt flour (I used the sprouted kind)
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Remove the tofu from its container and drain of the liquid.
- Press both blocks under a brick. I do this with a brick I covered with tin foil. I also use a piece of ceramic tile I covered with tin foil. I put the tofu block on a plate, place the ceramic tile on top of the tofu and then put the brick on top of that and press for the appropriate length of time. Make sure the ceramic tile is bigger then the tofu block. Once done drain off the water and cut each block into 4 even pieces.
- Place the tofu sticks in a 8x8 inch casserole dish and pour the teriyaki sauce over them turning to coat evenly. You will turn these every 20 minutes for about 3 hours to make sure they absorb the teriyaki sauce.
- When the 3 hours is nearly up prepare the coatings and preheat your convection toaster oven to 425'F.
- For the Lundberg rice cakes: I broke them up in pieces and then pulsed them in my magic bullet. A food processor would probably work also. I didn't process this into a fine powder, I left some pieces the size of a tiny pea. Set this aside in a shallow bowl.
- For the flour mixture: Put the flour into a shallow dish. Add the Nori, parsley and black pepper. Using a whisk mix the parcsley, pepper and Nori granules into the flour.
- Dredge the tofu sticks in the flour and then in the rice cake crumbs. Shake off any excess and place the coated tofu sticks in a greased 9x12x3" casserole dish (or equivalent) and put in the preheated convection oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and flip the sticks over. Put back and cook for another 10 minutes.
- The finished product should be lovely and golden shade.
- Bon Appetit!