Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
I love tofu and this is a recipe that I adapted from Sunset Magazine. The original recipe calls for cabbage, I use lettuce instead. Use cabbage if you desire.
- 1 (12 ounce) box extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cups finely shredded lettuce or 3 cups cabbage
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 8 soft corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 cup salsa, of your choice
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- Rinse tofu, drain in a colander for about 5 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes and lightly blot with more paper towels.
- In a bowl, mix soy sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Add tofu and mix gently to coat cubes completely.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix lettuce with vinegar.
- Stack tortillas and enclose in plastic wrap.
- Thread tofu cubes equally onto four 8-inch wooden skewers.
- Set a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, lay skewers in pan and turn as needed to brown tofu on all sides, 5-6 minutes total.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Mound lettuce mixture alongside.
- Heat tortillas in a microwave oven at full power until hot and steamy, 30-45 seconds.
- Wrap in a towel.
- Serve with tofu and lettuce, salsa, and sour cream.
- Eat taco style, filling as desired.
I just used the tofu part of the recipe to use in place of the usual meat that I make and really liked how they turned out.The marinade is really great. I added some of the marinade to my husbands ground meat and he really liked it. Lots of fresh, spicy flavor. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Super easy and yummy. I removed the moisture from the tofu by placing heavy pans on top. I also chose to use both lettuce and cabbage for the garnish and added a small carrot for color. Didn't use the skewers but simply pan fried the tofu in a little bit of oil. Garnished with lime juice. Love this. Will make again and again.
I found these simple to make and they were very much enjoyed. A nice change and a new staple fast food. I used cabbage and put a little olive oil in the skillet. Thanks for the recipe!