Hey Jude's Note:
I love tofu and this is a recipe that I adapted from Sunset Magazine. The original recipe calls for cabbage, I use lettuce instead. Use cabbage if you desire.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) box extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 cups finely shredded lettuce or 3 cups cabbage
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 8 soft corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 cup salsa, of your choice
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 1Rinse tofu, drain in a colander for about 5 minutes, then pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Cut into 1-inch cubes and lightly blot with more paper towels.
- 3In a bowl, mix soy sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne.
- 4Add tofu and mix gently to coat cubes completely.
- 5Let stand 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix lettuce with vinegar.
- 7Stack tortillas and enclose in plastic wrap.
- 8Thread tofu cubes equally onto four 8-inch wooden skewers.
- 9Set a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- 10When pan is hot, lay skewers in pan and turn as needed to brown tofu on all sides, 5-6 minutes total.
- 11Transfer to a serving platter.
- 12Mound lettuce mixture alongside.
- 13Heat tortillas in a microwave oven at full power until hot and steamy, 30-45 seconds.
- 14Wrap in a towel.
- 15Serve with tofu and lettuce, salsa, and sour cream.
- 16Eat taco style, filling as desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.1
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1267.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 16.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice vinegar