Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from a animal rights activist group flier, and its really good! The recipe is vegan, but sometimes I top them with cheese. I've never made it with the yeast, so I'm not sure how that tastes.
- 1⁄2 onions, chopped or 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb firm tofu, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 6 corn tortillas
- Saute the onion, garlic, and bell pepper in the vegetable oil for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the tofu, chili powder, yeast, cumin, oregano, and soy sauce.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then add the tomato sauce and simmer over low heat until the mixture is fairly dry.
- One by one, heat the tortillas in a heavy, ungreased skillet, turning each from side to side until soft and pliable.
- Place a small amount of the tofu mixture in the center of each tortilla, fold in half, and garnish, if desired.
Very easy to make and a good way of using tofu. a little blander than I expected but still very pleasant and the 4 year old ate hers without too much protest.