Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe from a local soy company. I played around with a few of the ingredients. An inexpensive and nutritious meal!
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, finely minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- salt, to taste
- 6 (7 inch) flour tortillas or 6 (7 inch) corn tortillas
- Drain the tofu and place in a mixing bowl. Mash well using a potato masher.
- Add all the other ingredients except for the onion, mushrooms, garlic and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the ingredients to marinate.
- Once the mixture has set for 30 minutes, heat up a sauté pan on medium heat and add the oil.
- Sauté the onions, mushrooms and garlic until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add the tofu mixture. Cook for about 10 minutes or until ingredients are browned, adding more cooking oil if needed. Stir mixture often. Season with salt to taste.
- Divide and fill steamed tortillas with the tofu mixture. Add your favorite toppings. We like sliced green onions, freshly made red salsa and fresh cilantro!