Recipe by Prose
This is derived and slightly adapted from the "Tofu-chiladas" recipe in "Vegetarian Meals for People on the Go" by Vimala Rodgers. If you're vegetarian, it's a nice alternative to beans in your Mexican food. My husband said I could probably pass it off to meat-eaters as eggs in a breakfast burrito. I would never try to fool anyone, though.
- 453.59 g extra firm tofu
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 9.85 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 28.39 ml Braggs liquid aminos or 28.39 ml tamari
- 85.04 g tomato paste
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 14.79-29.58 ml chili powder
- 396.89 g canned diced tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Optional for more texture: Freeze tofu overnight. Thaw by boiling for 15 minutes.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add aminos, tomato paste and spices to pan. Stir well.
- Squeeze the water out of the tofu with a dishtowel. Crumble it finely into the pan (so that it vaguely has the texture of ground beef). Cook, stirring occasionally, a few minutes or until slightly browned.
- Drain most of the liquid off the tomatoes, then add to pan. Stir and cook a few more minutes.