Recipe by Prose
This is derived and slightly adapted from the "Tofu-chiladas" recipe in "Vegetarian Meals for People on the Go" by Vimala Rodgers. If you're vegetarian, it's a nice alternative to beans in your Mexican food. My husband said I could probably pass it off to meat-eaters as eggs in a breakfast burrito. I would never try to fool anyone, though.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup Braggs liquid aminos or 1⁄8 cup tamari
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Optional for more texture: Freeze tofu overnight. Thaw by boiling for 15 minutes.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add aminos, tomato paste and spices to pan. Stir well.
- Squeeze the water out of the tofu with a dishtowel. Crumble it finely into the pan (so that it vaguely has the texture of ground beef). Cook, stirring occasionally, a few minutes or until slightly browned.
- Drain most of the liquid off the tomatoes, then add to pan. Stir and cook a few more minutes.