Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is derived and slightly adapted from the "Tofu-chiladas" recipe in "Vegetarian Meals for People on the Go" by Vimala Rodgers. If you're vegetarian, it's a nice alternative to beans in your Mexican food. My husband said I could probably pass it off to meat-eaters as eggs in a breakfast burrito. I would never try to fool anyone, though.
- Optional for more texture: Freeze tofu overnight. Thaw by boiling for 15 minutes.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add aminos, tomato paste and spices to pan. Stir well.
- Squeeze the water out of the tofu with a dishtowel. Crumble it finely into the pan (so that it vaguely has the texture of ground beef). Cook, stirring occasionally, a few minutes or until slightly browned.
- Drain most of the liquid off the tomatoes, then add to pan. Stir and cook a few more minutes.
I really liked this. Didn't freeze it prior and used it as the stuffing in vegan enchiladas. I loved the salty taste of the Braggs.
I thought this was very tasty. I made up a batch tonight and ate it wrapped in a tortilla with romaine lettuce and goat cheese (surprisingly tasty). Thanks for the recipe!
This was really good! I didn't freeze the tofu and I spread a little of our Best Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce on the tortilla. Turned out very yummy! Next time I might even make some Quick Tofu and Cashew Sour Cream (Vegan) ahead to add to it too! Great recipe!! Thanks! Made for veg*n swap.