Recipe by Mirj
Excellent as a main dish for vegetarians, also good for carnivores!
Top Review by Recipe Junkie
This was really good! I used 1% ricotta cheese instead of tofu. To cut down on the fat, I threw the zucchini pulp, tomatoes and onions in the mixture raw. I also added drained, cooked spinach. Thank you, Mirj!
- 4 zucchini
- 1 small onion
- 2 tomatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces tofu, blended
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated,for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven parboil the zucchini for 10 minutes in boiling water.
- Remove from the pot and cool.
- Cut zucchini and half lengthwise and trim the bottoms so they lie flat.
- Scoop out the insides and salt lightly.
- Chop zucchini pulp, onion and tomatoes.
- Set aside.
- In a 1-quart saucepan heat 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tofu and cook, stirring until thick.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and sauté the zucchini, onion and garlic.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chopped tomatoes, season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tofu sauce.
- Stuff the zucchini halves with tofu and vegetable mixtures, then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese melts.