Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very tasty recipe, great served over brown rice or bulgur. It is a quick meal done in around 30 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed with garlic press
- 1 tablespoon peeled grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (12 ounce) bag broccoli florets, cut into uniform pieces
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, tems removed,caps sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) package extra firm tofu, patted dry and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- In small bowl, whisk liquid aminos, brown sugar, and cornstarch with 1 cup water; set aside.
- In deep nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add broccoli, mushrooms, and red pepper and cook, covered 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tofu and green onions and cook uncovered 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the amino mixture to blend and add to skillet; heat to boiling.
- Boil 1 minute.
This tastes like what you'd find as "tofu and vegetables in light gravy" on an Americanized Chinese menu. Very good, mild, healthy dish. I also added chopped zucchini and browned the tofu first. Next time I'll add more garlic and red pepper flakes. Will make again, thanks!
I like to add baby corn and any veggies I have on hand (frozen pepper mix and sugar snap peas have been great). I've also scrambled an egg in with the garlic for more protein. This recipe has been a big hit with my entire family!