Recipe by Geniale Genie
Tofu and spinach... most people's reaction when they see those words is "Yuck!", but try this and see if your reaction is still the same :) This is an incredibly easy and tasty way to pack the benefits of spinach & the protein content of the tofu to picky eaters. Toss it into your pasta dish, replace tomato sauce on pizza with this, etc. My favourite way to eat is is spread on fresh bread. The measurements make it really easy to remember the recipe and you only need to use 1 measuring cup! I recommend you use firm tofu rather than silky because it is more nutritious. Make it ahead and have pesto on hand whenever you want it!!!
Top Review by Radiolizner
The family liked it! I did add some fresh basil leaves, and added a little extra tofu and cheese. I substituted chicken broth for water. I was a little disappointed when I reheated it in the microwave as the sauce did break apart a bit. I will reheat it more gently next time or just heat the pasta. I can see how this would make a great sauce for lasagne.
- 150 g fresh spinach leaves
- 2 garlic cloves (reduce if you're not a garlic fan)
- 1⁄3 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄3 cup soft tofu (the firm kind, not the silky kind)
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (the fresher the better)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Throw everything in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper is desired (although I really don't think it's necessary).
- Using a tray for large ice cubes (usually 16), fill each individual hole with pesto. Cover and freeze. You should have some left over- keep that to eat fresh.
- Pop out a cube from the freezer when you're in the mood for pesto! 1 cube = 1 portions (approx.).