Recipe by Shannon Holmes
These are great and vegan or vegetarian (see step 17). The measurements on the herbs and spices are approximate, please add to your taste the amounts :)
Top Review by tendollarwine
I really wanted to give this a better review.. i mainly used this for the dough recipe and then stuff it with whatever sounds good, but the measurements for the yeast, sugar and water seemed way off. The yeast barely bloomed at all and after 3 attempts I had to go with something else. It's all a great idea, but the measurements weren't right.
- 1 cup warm water (100 degrees F)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast (can use rapid rise)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups flour (can do half white and half wheat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 5 ounces vegan mozzarella cheese (about a half block, I used I.M. Earthkind Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella Cheese, half a block is 5 ounces) or 5 ounces vegan mozzarella cheese, cut in 1/4 inch chunks (about a half block, I used I.M. Earthkind Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella Cheese, half a block is 5 ounces)
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) package Mori-Nu firm tofu, plus
- 6 ounces Mori-Nu firm tofu (this is the kind that comes in the "juice box" and may be with the dry foods)
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped spinach, defrosted and drained well
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pizza seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 small onion, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 (8 ounce) canhunts tomato sauce with basil garlic and oregano, heated with
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar, to cut acidity
- cooking spray or oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix water with yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl, set aside for 5 minutes to let it bloom.
- Add the garlic, oil, salt and herbs.
- Add about 1 1/2-2 cups flour, mix well.
- Pour onto a floured board, add remaining flour as needed, and knead for about 5 minutes (this dough is really soft).
- Cover with the mixing bowl.
- Let rise about 20-30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, knead on lightly floured board, set aside.
- Place the tofu, drained in a bowl and blend until smooth with hand blender.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide your pizza dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll out one piece of dough and place a fourth of the filling in the middle of the pizza dough.
- Fold dough over the filling and seal.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Spray the calzones with cooking spray or and place on oiled baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degree F until brown on bottom, spray tops of calzones with cooking spray or rub with olive oil and flip, cooking until browned on other side.
- Serve with warmed Hunt's Tomato Basil Oregano Sauce or your favorite.
- If you are not a vegan, I have made another variation of this recipe, here are the changes: Instead of the vegan cheese 1 cup Veggie Mozzarella Shreds or 1/2 cup Veggie Shreds and 1/2 cup Low Fat Shredded Mozzarella 1/4 cup or so Reduced Fat Parmesan These are guestimates on the measurements, I made these today with stuff around the house and Mark and I loved them.