1/3 Photos of Tofu Shiitake Spicy Stir-Fry
This is a simple and quick stir-fry. Peanut oil and shitake mushrooms provide the main flavor in this dish. These amounts are approximate. I added a generous sprinkling of finely ground cayenne at the very end for some serious heat, but those who don't like it hot-hot can skip that. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces firm tofu, Cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 -3 tablespoons peanut oil (I use unrefined peanut oil, yum!)
- 1 large garlic clove, Grated
- 1 sweet onion, such as Oso Sweet, Empire Sweet
- 4 -5 bunches baby bok choy, about 1 pound, Cut into 1/2-inch pieces, leaves chopped coarsely
- 10 -12 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed even with cap, each cut into quarters, sixths if larger mushroom
- 1/2 cup carrot, Julienned (I cut baby carrots lengthwise)
- 2 -3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 -3 teaspoons sugar, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (Use your own discretion!)
- 1In large non-stick skillet, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Cut onion in half and place onion cut-side down on cutting board. Slice 1/2-inch thick slices across the short way. Then cut once across the slices, creating two rows.
- 3Put onions into skillet with the grated garlic and saute for approximately 3 minutes.
- 4Add cubed tofu into pan and saute over high heat, adding oil as needed. Turn a few times with spatula until cubes brown slightly.
- 5Remove the tofu and onions onto a plate.
- 6Add bok choy and mushrooms to pan, stirring in 2 teaspoons of sugar, adding a little peanut oil if needed, and saute vegetables for 2 to 3 minutes. Push vegetables to the sides of the pan and add tofu into the center, sprinkling 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce over cubes. Sprinkle carrots around pan on top of vegetables. Heat for 2 minutes, sprinkle cayenne pepper over all, then gently stir everything together for 1 - 2 minutes more, using a flat nylon or bamboo spatula so as not to crush the tofu.
- 7Serve with steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Shiitake Spicy Stir-Fry
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.3
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 554.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 10.9 g