Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I'm always preparing tofu the same old way and would enjoy a change. This veganized shakshouka recipe was found in Nava Atlas' Vegan Express. It would be wonderful with fresh, in-season tomatoes. Serve it with hummus, fresh pita bread and a cucumber & tomato salad for a meal with a Middle Eastern theme.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 (12 1/3 ounce) packages firm silken tofu, finely crumbled
- 4 large tomatoes or 6 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 pinch turmeric, for color
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet; add onion and saute over medium-low heat until translucent.
- Add green pepper (and garlic if using); continue to saute until both are lightly browned.
- Add tofu, tomatoes, paprika and turmeric; stir together, then cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes until tomatoes are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir in parsley and serve.