Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
I'm always preparing tofu the same old way and would enjoy a change. This veganized shakshouka recipe was found in Nava Atlas' Vegan Express. It would be wonderful with fresh, in-season tomatoes. Serve it with hummus, fresh pita bread and a cucumber & tomato salad for a meal with a Middle Eastern theme.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 (12 1/3 ounce) packages firm silken tofu, finely crumbled
- 4 large tomatoes or 6 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 pinch turmeric, for color
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet; add onion and saute over medium-low heat until translucent.
- 2Add green pepper (and garlic if using); continue to saute until both are lightly browned.
- 3Add tofu, tomatoes, paprika and turmeric; stir together, then cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes until tomatoes are soft.
- 4Season with salt and pepper, stir in parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Shakshouka (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (434 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.2
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 74.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 14.3 g