Recipe by Carol Bullock
The hollandaise sauce makes this dish truly decadent. I often eat this atop a piece of toast.
Top Review by magpie diner
My favourite part of this was definitely the sauce - providing you like the flavour of "nooch" because it's quite strong, (I added some lemon juice to add another note). As another reviewer said, I found the sauce very thick, so next time would definitely cut the flour down. I made half the batch of sauce and still have some leftover for other things, so it makes a lot in relation to the amount of tofu (I used one regular pack of firm tofu). The scramble part for me was OK, needed some more seasoning and was on the dry side so added a few things here and there. Had never tried tomato paste in a scramble before, that was an interesting change. I really like this idea though and will try again maybe on toasted english muffins for that "benny" effect. Thanks Carol!
- 1 lb firm tofu, mashed with a potato masher and drained of liquid
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large firm tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (I have also made this with a pinch of curry, chili powder and cayenne)
- 1 pinch salt
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 cups soymilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable margarine
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Drizzle enough oil to cover bottom of fry pan.
- Heat over medium heat and add onion, bell pepper and tofu.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until tofu loses most of it's moisture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and turn the heat up a little.
- Continue cooking until mixture resembles scrambled eggs.
- Put nutritional yeast flakes, flour, soy milk, paprika and salt in a saucepan and whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Cook for one more minute after you see it start bubbling.
- Remove from heat and add margarine and mustard.
- Whisk together until margarine is incorporated.
- Drizzle over tofu scramble and serve.