Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The hollandaise sauce makes this dish truly decadent. I often eat this atop a piece of toast.
- 1 lb firm tofu, mashed with a potato masher and drained of liquid
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large firm tomatoes, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (I have also made this with a pinch of curry, chili powder and cayenne)
- 1 pinch salt
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 cups soymilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable margarine
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- Drizzle enough oil to cover bottom of fry pan.
- Heat over medium heat and add onion, bell pepper and tofu.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until tofu loses most of it's moisture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and turn the heat up a little.
- Continue cooking until mixture resembles scrambled eggs.
- Put nutritional yeast flakes, flour, soy milk, paprika and salt in a saucepan and whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Cook for one more minute after you see it start bubbling.
- Remove from heat and add margarine and mustard.
- Whisk together until margarine is incorporated.
- Drizzle over tofu scramble and serve.
My favourite part of this was definitely the sauce - providing you like the flavour of "nooch" because it's quite strong, (I added some lemon juice to add another note). As another reviewer said, I found the sauce very thick, so next time would definitely cut the flour down. I made half the batch of sauce and still have some leftover for other things, so it makes a lot in relation to the amount of tofu (I used one regular pack of firm tofu). The scramble part for me was OK, needed some more seasoning and was on the dry side so added a few things here and there. Had never tried tomato paste in a scramble before, that was an interesting change. I really like this idea though and will try again maybe on toasted english muffins for that "benny" effect. Thanks Carol!
I just made the sauce as I already have a favourite recipe for scrambled tofu. The sauce was nice, but I found it to be way too thick and salty: try starting with half the amount of flour and salt and working up from there if necessary. Also, although the sauce was tasty in its own way, if you're looking for a convincing vegan analogue of real hollandaise sauce you will be disappointed by this recipe. Don't get me wrong, though: I did enjoy it, and Carol is right - it does make a plain old plate of scrambled tofu into something rather special!