Recipe by TasteTester
I initially made this vegetarian dish because I'm trying to eat healthier. I enjoyed it so much I've made it a part of my dinners I prepare regularly. Preparation time does not include pressing the tofu.
Top Review by Jmommy209
Wow. I was totally expecting this to not have much flavor. It's such a simple recipe. What a pleasant surprise. I did make a couple of changes to reduce the calories. I only used 2 Tbsp of olive oil, one to brush the bottom of the pan I put the tofu in, and one to saute the mushrooms. I completely omitted the cornstarch, just laid the tofu cubes on the oiled pan in a single layer, and salted and peppered them. I also omitted the water for the spinach, and added it to the mushrooms and garlic. What a YUMMY dish. I will definitely add this to my regular line up. Thanks for something new to do with tofu!
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced (optional)
- 6 -8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Press tofu by placing it on a plate covered with 3 layers of paper towels. Cover the tofu with 3 more layers of paper towels and put a weight on top. (I use a large can from the cupboard.) Press it for 30-60 minutes, changing paper towels if needed. Then pat the tofu dry and slice into 1-inch cubes.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the oil in a shallow dish. Place the cornstarch in a separate dish. Toss tofu in oil, covering all sides, then roll in cornstarch. Put tofu in one layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crispy with a browned exterior. Be careful not to overcook the tofu or it will be tough.
- Start the spinach about 10 minutes after tofu goes in the oven. Brown spinach lightly (2-3 minutes) in a little bit of olive oil, then cover and cook over low heat, adding 1 tablespoon water, for 3 minutes.
- Saute the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and basil. Cook briefly on medium heat just until the garlic is golden brown. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice, and cover to keep warm. When tofu has finished cooking, serve it over the braised spinach.