Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
My husband and I found an organic restaurant here in town, and when I had my first tofu sandwich, I fell in love with it. I had to go home and figure out my own recipe immediately! This uses firm-extra firm tofu and tastes great on a toasted whole wheat bun.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash paprika, if you like
- tofu mayonnaise
- mixed sprouts
- 2 whole grain buns (or sandwich bread, whichever you prefer)
- After draining the tofu, cut into four large pieces. Pat off any excess liquid.
- Mix all spices together and sprinkle over each piece of tofu.
- In skillet, brown tofu on either side for 3-4 minutes; or broil in oven on each side until browned.
- Toast whole wheat buns; spread with tofu maynonnaise. Add lettuce, sliced tomato and sprouts on top of tofu. Enjoy!
I enjoyed this so much more than I thought I would. So easy, with nice flavor and satisfying. I used the optional paprika and cooked it in a skillet with a little cooking spray for about 4 mins. on each side. I'm not a vegan so I topped it with a slice of cheese, lettuce tomato, onion and mayo. Thanks for posting the recipe, I'll be making this again.
Yep, this is delicious!! It would work well wth any spice mix. I used a very seedy multigrain bread. The kids loved this, too! ade for PAC Fall '07.