Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 lb firm tofu, pressed,and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄2 cup half moon slices cucumber
- 1⁄3 cup sliced radish
- 1⁄3 cup tofu mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 6 inch pita bread, cut in 2
- 1 leaf lettuce
- Stir fry tofu cubes in vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet until golden and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Combine all ingredients except pita bread and lettuce.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour to blend flavors.
- Line pita pockets with leaf lettuce and fill with tofu salad.
- To press tofu, cut tofu block into 2 or 4 equal pieces and lay on a plate covered with paper towels or a clean dish cloth.
- Cover with more paper towels or dish cloth.
- Place another plate on top and on top of the plate put a heavy object.
- Let stand from 20 minutes to one hour, changing paper towels as they become soaked.
- The longer you press, the firmer the tofu will be.
This was pretty good. I loved the idea of frying the tofu first to give it some great texture. The final product was a little on the bland side so I would recommend kicking it up a bit but otherwise this was a light but filing summer meal. THanks Dancer!