Recipe by ILuvRecipes
I found this recipe in a book called The Low-Carb Gourmet. It looked interesting, but the calorie count was way too high for my liking. I made changes and added kale for something different. It turned out great! This is my first posting. My daughter, LUv2BaKE, has posted many recipes and got me interested in Recipezaar.
Top Review by csuphilosophy
Very tasty recipe! I think it is good for those who are wheat intolerant (like me) or just like tofu and want to find new ways to include it in the diet. I'm not into the low carb thing, and I felt it needed something, so I added bread crumbs and seasonings on top. I also used red chard instead of kale, but either would be good. I will add more spices into the white sauce next time. The boiled tofu mouth feel is much like macaroni prepared in this way- amazing! Love the kale in it as well. Next time I might try some mushrooms to add "meatiness"...
- 350 g extra firm tofu
- 60 g light cream cheese
- 150 ml skim milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 60 g cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 250 g kale, cooked and chopped
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.
- Cut tofu into skinny macaroni shaped pieces. Add to the boiling water.
- When the water returns to a full boil, remove from heat and drain. Set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, milk, and flour in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally until the cheese melts and the mixture simmers and thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in Cheddar cheese until melted.
- Whisk in mustard, salt, and egg yolk.
- Fold in the tofu and kale, and transfer to a casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- The casserole can be microwaved, uncovered for 3 minutes or till bubbly, (This is the way I made it.), or it may be baked at 325 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.