Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I got this recipe from the internet and the original came from the Ultimate Un-cheese Cookbook by Joanne Stephaniak. I have seen ricotta substitutes before, but this one can be also used for sweet dishes. Just leave out the herbs.
- 1 lb firm regular tofu (drained-16 oz package)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sweet syrup (mild and your choice)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Break the tofu into large chunks. Place in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Chill covered in the fridge until cool enough to handle.
- Crumble and place in a bowl with remaining ingredients. Remember leave out the herbs if you want this to be sweet. Mash and blend until mixture has a fine grainy texture, similar to ricotta or cottage cheese. Chill several more hours or over night before serving.
- This will store for 5 days in the fridge.