Recipe by casemnor
This recipe came from: http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/1056 It is absolutely divine. It even has non-tofu people singing its praises. It is a great "starter vegetarian" type recipe. I like to serve it with some plain rice.
Top Review by Jeri Roth Lande
Enjoyed this recipe. Especially appreciated that it was very different from the 10,000 variations of tofu with vegetables and a soy based sauce. I made the following mods<br/><br/>Used lemon juice rather than sliced lemons. (This led to more sauce.)<br/>Replaced flour with ground almonds to make it lower carb. This worked great - it still had a nice crispy exterior.<br/>Fried the tofu on a griddle so I could do it in one batch.
- 1 large lemon, peeled and white pith removed
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons soy margarine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 275F.
- Cut the lemon into very thin rounds, discarding the seeds, and set aside.
- Drain tofu, wrap in paper towel, and press for about ten minutes (this will give your tofu a firmer texture).
- Put the flour into a shallow bowl.
- Season the tofu with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour, tapping off any excess.
- Transfer the tofu slices to a platter and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the tofu, in batches, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes total.
- Place the tofu slices on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Deglaze the skillet with the wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring a few times, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon slices, capers, and parsley and simmer until hot.
- Stir in the butter, if using, to enrich the sauce.
- Arrange the tofu on a serving platter or individual plates.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu and serve at once.