1/1 Photo of Tofu Piccata
This recipe came from: http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/food/1056 It is absolutely divine. It even has non-tofu people singing its praises. It is a great "starter vegetarian" type recipe. I like to serve it with some plain rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large lemon, peeled and white pith removed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch-thick slices
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons soy margarine (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 275F.
- 2Cut the lemon into very thin rounds, discarding the seeds, and set aside.
- 3Drain tofu, wrap in paper towel, and press for about ten minutes (this will give your tofu a firmer texture).
- 4Put the flour into a shallow bowl.
- 5Season the tofu with salt and pepper and dredge in the flour, tapping off any excess.
- 6Transfer the tofu slices to a platter and set aside.
- 7Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 8Add the tofu, in batches, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes total.
- 9Place the tofu slices on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- 10Deglaze the skillet with the wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
- 11Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring a few times, until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- 12Stir in the lemon slices, capers, and parsley and simmer until hot.
- 13Stir in the butter, if using, to enrich the sauce.
- 14Arrange the tofu on a serving platter or individual plates.
- 15Pour the sauce over the tofu and serve at once.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Piccata
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.9
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 196.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 12.2 g