Recipe by VeggieChallenge
Pasta with a creamy sauce made from soft tofu and steamed vegetables. (food processor optional)
- 500 g soft tofu (2 blocks)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cups kale or 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1⁄4 cup light miso
- 1⁄3 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped (black)
- 1⁄3 cup green olives, pitted and chopped (or substitute with sun-dried tomatoes)
- 1 lb fettuccine, linguine (or other long noodles)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small pot of simmering water, poach tofu for three minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, kale, bay leaf, basil, oregano and thyme.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until onions are translucent, reducing heat to low after 3-4 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the onion mixture with tofu and miso until smooth and creamy (for a chunkier sauce, mix ingredients by hand). Stir in chopped olives.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender but firm and drain.
- Immediately toss with tofu mixture and season with pepper.
- Source: Vegetarian Tastes of Toronto, p. 58.