Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- ground black pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 2 Tbls.
- parmesan cheese, 1 tsp.
- oregano and salt and pepper.
- Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place in a bowl of cold water.
- One at a time, press tofu into crumb mixture, turning to coat all sides.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side.
- Drizzle with a bit more olive oil, turn, and brown on the other side.
- Combine tomato sauce, basil, garlic and remaining oregano.
- Place a thin layer of sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Arrange tofu slices in the pan.
- Spoon remaining sauce over tofu.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and remaining 3 Tbl.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 20 minutes.
Yum. Fun way to use tofu- normally i do cubes for different things, but I liked it a lot in this form. DH liked it too. Cooking process was perfect as written, except for the fact that my breadcrumbs just did not stick. No matter- the taste was there. We will make this again, for sure. Thanks!
This was very good, definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing Toodles. Just wanted to add another note. I just made this for the third time. I absolutely love it.
I've had tofu parm before, but this one is my favorite. Very good recipe, I loved it.