Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious. She says the taste fools her kids into thinking they are eating fried cheese or chicken nuggets. I haven't tried this, but am posting recipes from the book upon request.
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup pureed spinach or 1 cup pureed green peas
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine the breadcrumbs, flaxseed meal, parmesean, and paprika in a small bowl.
- Mix the vegetable puree and egg together in a flat bowl.
- Slice or cube the tofu into bite sized pieces. You can use any shape you want, including cookie cutters. Sprinkle the tofu with the salt.
- Dip the tofu into the egg mixture, then roll in the breadcrumbs until the tofu is completed coated and you can't see the puree.
- Spray a large nonstick pan with cooking spray, heat the pan, then add the oil.
- Cook the tofu over medium heat 3-4 minutes to a side, being careful not to overbrown. Cook until the coating is crisp and golden on all sides.
- Note: the recipe for chicken nuggets is almost identical, but calls for using broccoli, spinach, sweet potato, or beet puree.
I was the only one in our family who had tofu before. My husband and the kids were a bit weirded out by the texture of the tofu and weren%u2019t big fans of it. The average rating for our family was 2.3 stars. It took a lot of fresh spinach to get my ? cup puree and I would probably use peas if I made it again. I chopped up leftover nuggets and cooked them in my scrambled eggs with cheesy and it was pretty tasty.
I am a southern girl, and was therefore raised on casseroles. However, I try not to eat or serve them unless at a family reunion. These tofu nuggets dipped in broccoli puree taste just like a bite of my grandmother's broccoli casserole. They were absolutely delicious and easy to make. I will definitely make them again.