Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Breaded & baked tofu nuggets. Inspired by the About.com article.
Make and share this Tofu Nuggets 1 recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (15 ounce) package firm tofu
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- Whisk together the water, mustard, nutritional yeast and spices until smooth in a wide bowl. Place bread crumbs in a separate bowl.
- Slice tofu into 1/2 inch thick strips.
- Coat each piece of tofu with soymilk and mustard mixture first, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Lay tofu piece on a covered baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
I liked the idea of this, but it didn't work for me. I had to use a different spice mixture (used 2 t of commercial taco seasoning) because I didn't have the ingredients on hand, but the marinade tasted great, it is just that the flavor did not permeate the tofu like I expected it to. Also, I used ww bread to make the breadcrumbs. They did not crisp in the oven as I would have liked--I think the marinade was too watery. The ingredient list calls for water, but the instructions mention soymilk--probably should have gone with the soy milk. Anyway, I thought it still tasted OK, but the kids refused to eat it. I'd suggest using the soymilk and either frying the nuggets in a little oil in a pan or spraying them with some cooking spray before baking to help them crisp.