Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A simple miso soup from "The Japanese Cooking Class Cookbook".
- 6 ounces tofu
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 quart dashi
- 3 -4 tablespoons miso (adjust according to saltiness)
- Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes and reserve.
- Remove mushroom stems, cut each cap in half, then slice halves crosswise into 1/8-inch slices.
- Place dashi and mushrooms in a 3-qusrt saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat; boil 1 minute to cook mushrooms, then remove from heat. Add tofu to soup. Dissolve miso in some of the hot soup liquid, then add to soup. Stir in soy sauce. Reheat soup to just under boiling, but do not boil. Serve immediately in 4 soup bowls.