Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a combination of several recipes that I have tweeked to my own liking. Freezing the tofu is not required, but it makes it more meat-like, if that is an issue. A wonderful sangeovese and your favorite homemade salsa completes this yummy hors d'oeuvre!
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 3 -4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup beef broth (I use homemade)
- 3 tablespoons oil, for frying
- Combine flour, chili powder, cumin and yeast in a shallow container.
- Cut tofu into 1/2 inch strips and marinate in broth.
- Squeeze most, but not all, of the marinade out of the strips and roll in flour mixture.
- Fry over medium heat in the oil until they are crispy, turning to make sure all sides are cooked.
- Drain on paper towels.
Instructions were confusing. I had to research freezing tofu http://chinesefood.about.com/od/tofurecipes/ht/Freezing-Tofu-How-To-Freeze-Tofu.htm<br/><br/>Then I didn't know what the marinade was. I'm guessing it was supposed to be the beef broth (which in my opinion defeats the purpose of the tofu). I used veggie broth. <br/><br/>All in all, decent recipe. Just hard to follow.