Recipe by bankshia
I developed this recipe myself. It's a low carb, low calorie, DELICIOUS main course. Make those aubergines earn their keep :>
- 2 -3 large aubergines (approx 400 g)
- 450 g tomatoes
- 10 g olive oil
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 Maggi vegetable cube
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100 g onions
- 20 g shredded parmesan cheese
- 600 g firm tofu
Directions See How It's Made
- DO IN ADVANCE, E.G. THE PREVIOUS NIGHT: Place tofu on a plate with a heavy weight on top of it to press out excess moisture.
- TO PREPARE: Slice the aubergines, lay on a paper towel, and sprinkle with salt.
- Chop tomatoes. Chop onion. Mince garlic.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in half of the olive oil. When tender, add cinnamon, oregano, and black pepper. Stir to coat.
- Add chopped tomatoes and Maggi cube (or other bouillon cube of your choice). Bring to a simmer, lower heat, and simmer uncovered until sauce thickens.
- Cube tofu and add. Cook for another minute, then transfer sauce to separate bowl and set aside.
- Wipe aubergine slices with paper towel, then sauté in same pan with remaining olive oil.
- When golden brown, use half of the aubergine slices to line the bottom of a baking dish. Pour tofu-tomato sauce on top. Sprinkle with half the parmesan. Cover with remaining aubergine slices, then with remaining parmesan.
- Bake at about 240°C for 20-3- minutes or until it looks done!