Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you must live dairy-free and still love bagels here is something for you to try. I found this on a vegan website while looking for mock cream cheese to make smoked salmon spread with. I tried this and liked it! If you don't have cashew paste or cashew butter you can put about 1/2 cup of cashews in the food processor until they get like peanut butter... then measure out 3 1/2 Tbsp. for the recipe. Raw cashews would be better, but I used salted and roasted with no problem.
- 12 1⁄3 ounces firm tofu
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons cashew paste
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- artificial sweetener (Splenda, Equal, sugar...)
- salt (optional)
- Blend all ingredients in the food processor or blender or by hand until creamy and smooth.
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours for flavors and texture to set. Will thicken in the fridge.
- Add whatever flavor you like -- chives, or garlic, or smoked salmon and chopped skallions, strawberry preserves -- etc.