Recipe by WhitneysWonders
Here is a vegan version of an old Mexican food favorite of mine.
Top Review by whtbxrmom
My family didn't look too hopeful when they saw this. But I have a rule in my house: You don't have to eat it, but you have to try it. Well, we all tried it, and we all ate it. However, I didn't tell them it was tofu. ;0) The only change I made was to use part of a bell pepper instead of a jalapeno because of heartburn issues. Served topped with shredded cheese and mild salsa.
- 0.5 (16 ounce) package lite firm tofu
- 1⁄2 onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 diced jalapeno pepper (you could use the whole pepper, depending on heat tolerance)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light margarine
- 2 tablespoons salsa (chunky, can also be substituted with a small fresh diced tomato and diced bell peppers, if you have)
- 3 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Ingredient Prep: Dice pepper and onion, drain and crumble tofu, and tear corn tortillas into 9 pieces each. Set ingredients aside.
- Spray a sauté pan with cooking spray and sauté onions until almost translucent.
- After cooking the onions almost completely, add the salsa, (or diced tomato pepper mixture), peppers, and spices to the pan, sauté on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add crumbled tofu, salt, and half of the margarine, sauté until all of the margarine is fully incorporated.
- Add tortilla pieces and the rest of the margarine, and cook until the tortilla pieces are softened and incorporated.
- Serve in a bowl with a side of salsa, or serve with cheese on top for a heartier version.